My earliest memory was when I was 2 years and 2 months old. The day my sister was born. I remember being swaddled in a blanket and being taken to my grandfather's house next door. I also vividly remember seeing the gray snowclouds in the sky that January day.
I guess you could say that's the day my life began. Any day that M'Lynn isn't right beside me, or I can't call her and talk on a whim... well, those days just don't count.

My sister and me.
Though, I must admit my second memory is the first of several murder attempts I made on her life... beginning with ripping off what was left of her umbilical cord - with the gall to do it while my mom was holding her. I went on to feed her pennies, push her off the front porch in a toy baby buggy, hit her in the neck with a hammer, and tell her high school crushes about her not-so-pure intentions. Like all other siblings we fought like, well, siblings. But if you come near my sister, it's because I like you enough. And if I don't... I don't have to tell y'all how protective I get.
Yesterday, M'Lynn and her wonderful husband of 8 years brought the most perfect girl into the world, and I have a feeling that everything before then in my life will not count either. Miss Emily Brooke Kayton joined my family at around 1:30 on the afternoon of May 3 and she weighed just one ounce shy of 7 pounds.

My love.
I had to come home to Atlanta to work this weekend, but I am literally counting the hours until I can be back in Alabaster with her and the rest of her new family. I spent the drive fantasizing about what we will do the day she is old enough to come visit me and spend the night... or weekend... or even summer (PLEASE, M'LYNN? BEFORE EMMIE B IS IN HIGH SCHOOL?)
A short list of the things I cannot wait to share with the most precious girl I have ever known:
Feeding ducks at Piedmont Park
The Beatles
Breakfast at Krispy Kreme
Lenox Mall
How to make cornbread
The Aquarium
The subtlety of a great rock tee
"How To Kill A Mockingbird"
The Children's Museum
Waffle House at 2am
The Atlanta Zoo

Emmie and me holding hands
I already have a battery of photos to bore all of you with, so if you don't want to see them, then you might want to avoid me for at least the next 21 years.

No comments:
Post a Comment