Wednesday, March 21, 2007

When The Sun Goes Down

Sunday night insomnia. Not a stranger to this state, though it was less prevalent during the era of Black Sunday over the winter.

But the difference is that now I'm a Woman of Leisure, so it's no big deal.

It's about 2am, I'm home alone, and I have my windows and doors open. It's almost 70 degrees outside and I can hear the Vinings train roll by outside. I'm watching Discovery Channel, and sipping on a back-of-the-cabinet stash of tequila and some cheap margarita mix that tastes like college.

Spent the afternoon at Piedmont Park with my Best Boys throwing a football, then ate a bona fide cheeseburger at Park Tavern. A really great spring day in Atlanta.

I've kept my nocturnal schedule since I'm on "hiatus" (notice the quotes) and I'm curious why everything seems amplified when the sun goes down? My plans for the future get bigger, the things that make me sad seem catastrophic, and the clock only ticks about half as fast as it does during the day. Plus, I hate infomercials and there's only so many message boards I can read. My mind won't shut up. Sometimes I lose the battle and go to bed depressed, certain that I am doomed for whatever irrational reason that makes no sense when I stir at daybreak with my Morning Anxiety Attack.

Are we getting a little too serious here? Like I said, it's 2am.

The good news is that I just noticed that one of my oldest friends was online, so I told her I'm afraid I'm about a half step up from a street walkin wine-o with my cheap margarita. And... well... you see for yourself:

[01:21] EMelHgns2: I just found a stash of tequila and really horrible margarita mix. About a half step up from being a wine-o.
[01:21] EMelHgns2: :)
[01:22] MelliesBuddy: i'm looking at my vagina
[01:22] EMelHgns2: Do what?
[01:22] MelliesBuddy: mellie, u need to get comfotable with the source of your femininity
[01:23] EMelHgns2: I'm pretty comfy with it. My source and I have been friends for a long time.

So now the tequila is running low, and the Discovery Channel show is almost over. There's a fifth of Tanqueray in there, but I'm not THAT desperate. At least I'm not bored anymore. Now I have some female bonding to do... seeing as how ALL of my friends are guys, this is something I don't get a lot of.

No comments: